Will DIGEST-MD5 be part of SMTP authentication in the future?

From: Sune Ahlgren <sune_ahlgren_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Tue, 19 Oct 2010 16:21:57 +0200

Hi,

I wonder if there are any plans on implementing support for DIGEST-MD5 as an SMTP authentication mechanism in the near future?
The company I represent is planning to use libcurl in the future but we must be protected from 'loss of service' when our customers upgrade their software. Today we use a hacked version of Ralf S. Engelschall's smtpclient which supports DIGEST-MD5 and some of our customers may be using it.

Thanks
/Sune