RE: SMTP SSL does not start, no authentication (was empty subject)

From: Daniel Stenberg <daniel_at_haxx.se>
Date: Thu, 21 Oct 2010 09:13:21 +0200 (CEST)

On Wed, 20 Oct 2010, Alona Rossen wrote:

> Michael, thank you so very much - it finally worked! Is adding local host
> name a standard? Is there a specific libcurl option for specifying local
> host?

When it comes to SMTP and a few of the other recently added protocols (like
IMAP and POP3), you really need to dive into the code for some of the details
and we GREATLY appreciate if you help us clarify these details in the docs
afterwards.

The hostname is taken from the path part, but if you don't specify a path in
the URL then libcurl will attempt to get the host name from your system (or
use "localhost"). Note that systems often don't know the "proper" local host
name to show to the remote host so it is likely that you need to help libcurl
with that anyway.

--
  / daniel.haxx.se