Re: Threaded resolver breaks MOC

From: Dave Reisner <d_at_falconindy.com>
Date: Tue, 17 May 2011 21:11:07 -0400

On Wed, May 18, 2011 at 02:29:43AM +0200, Ben Noordhuis wrote:
> On Wed, May 18, 2011 at 01:52, Dave Reisner <d_at_falconindy.com> wrote:
> > I'm investigating a bug report [1] for Arch Linux which we received a
> > few months ago regarding MOC [2] being unable to play streams. MOC is
> > linked against curl and uses the multi interface. To summarize the bug
> > report, I determined that it wasn't a specific version of curl which was
> > breaking MOC, but the addition of --enable-threaded-resolver in our
> > build options. I've verified that this behavior is still consistent with
> > the latest curl from git.
> >
> > The third comment in our bug report shows output from MOC when
> > successful and unsuccessful. I've examined the code in question, and
> > can't see anything that stands out, though my knowledge and experience
> > with curl_multi is somewhat limited. As MOC's upstream seems to be on
> > life support, I'm reaching out to you fine folks to see if anyone might
> > have some insight or might be able to push me in the right direction.
> >
> > Regards,
> > Dave
> >
> > [1] http://bugs.archlinux.org/task/23193
> > [2] http://moc.daper.net/
>
> Dave, from https://bugs.archlinux.org/task/23193?getfile=6531
>
> Mar 8 18:53:12.639698: io_curl.c:342 curl_read_internal(): Doing select()...
> Mar 8 18:54:58.450305: server.c:122 sig_exit(): Got signal 15
>
> Do you know where the SIGTERM comes from? Is the good log file from
> when you compile with c-ares support?

Judging by the timestamps and our inability to reproduce it, I have to
assume that the SIGTERM was sent to mocp by the user who posted the log.

We've never compiled curl against c-ares; though for the sake of being
thorough, I tested with curl linked against c-ares (1.7.4) and mocp
streams properly.

Here's the build options that I that can reproduce success with:

  --random=/dev/urandom
  --prefix=/usr
  --mandir=/usr/share/man
  --disable-dependency-tracking
  --enable-ipv6
  --disable-ldaps
  --disable-ldap
  --enable-manual
  --enable-versioned-symbols
  --with-ca-path=/etc/ssl/certs
  --enable-threaded-resolver
  --without-libidn

The broken mocp behavior is exhibited solely with the addition of
--enable-threaded-resolver.

dave