RE: POP3 not using same connection for multiple requests when using starttls

From: Steve Holme <steve_holme_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Thu, 17 Nov 2011 13:24:12 +0000

Hi Daniel,

> > Sorry if I'm being a bit slow here but I'm sure you'll appreciate it
> > is quite difficult to grasp what others are saying via email sometimes.
>
> Oh, I'm sorry if I gave an impression of being impatient. I'm just a bit
short on
> time at times, and sometimes I'm just trying to be accurate and
to-the-point.
> I very much appreciate all your time and effort you spend on this, and I
want
> you (and others) to get a better understanding of the internals!

No not at all - I appreciate you're a busy man what with libcurl, libssh2
and other projects that you are involved with. I also understand that most
of us here require your assistance at some time or other so may have to wait
a while for a response. My own personal view is that I would rather wait for
your response and input so I can get a fix or feature right rather than rush
something out that's wrong or breaks areas that I don't know about.

> Short version: your descriptions match exactly what I envision. I'll
elaborate a
> bit more below though:

That's much appreciated.

> Yes, case 1 looks like the simple and straight-forward case - which should
> already work fine.

Indeed.

> > Scenario 2 - SSL
> >
> > curl_easy_setopt(curl, CURLOPT_USE_SSL, CURLUSESSL_TRY); //
>
> Note that this says "TRY". That's a bit devious, as it means the user is
actually
> fine with either way, it just wants to try SSL and go with it if it
> works. That option can however get set to CURLFTPSSL_CONTROL or
> CURLFTPSSL_ALL which mean: MUST use SSL.

Does that mean if a user sets the SSL value to CONTROL or ALL and the SMTP /
POP3 / IMAP server doesn't support the upgrading of connections via TLS that
the connection will fail?

Cheers

Steve