Re: latest curl on Plan9

From: Daniel Stenberg <daniel_at_haxx.se>
Date: Thu, 3 Jan 2013 11:50:02 +0100 (CET)

On Thu, 3 Jan 2013, Jens Staal wrote:

> I just wanted to report that the latest curl pretty much built "out of the
> box" on Plan9/APE (ANSI-POSIX-ENVIRONMENT).

Ah, lovely. Thanks for keeping up your tests and reporting back. I truly want
curl and libcurl to work on current platforms, including Plan 9.

> - change configure to not use unsupported stuff like "mv -f", "cp -r" and "ls
> -di"

All of these are entered by the autotools themselves. I'm afraid that pushing
for such a drastic change upstream there will face quite a resistance. What's
the motivation behind _not_ supporting them?

They are mention in standards documents at least:

http://pubs.opengroup.org/onlinepubs/9699919799/utilities/mv.html
http://pubs.opengroup.org/onlinepubs/009696799/utilities/cp.html
http://pubs.opengroup.org/onlinepubs/009695399/utilities/ls.html

Of course, I'm not using the latest and the greatest autotools versions when I
build the release tarballs so there might be improvements made later. Although
I get the sense these are not details changed recently!

> - change config.sub to include -plan9*

The latest official config.sub seems to live here:

http://git.savannah.gnu.org/gitweb/?p=config.git;a=blob_plain;f=config.sub;hb=HEAD

... and it has no plan9 mentions in it. If you have such improvements, have
you tried to get them included into that file?

> - run configure with "kitchen sink approach" - activate every conditional to
> expose all functionality from the APE libraries

Sorry, I don't understand this sentence. What are you suggesting we should do?
What is this "kitchen sink approach" you speak of?

> - a custom lib/config-plan9.h with a few (re-)definitions

Hm, we don't do config-[OS].h files for systems that can run the configure
file as we use those files as the outputs from a would-have-run configure. If
you need plan9-stuff in a header file we should check for it in the configure
file and then use #ifdef HAVE_BLABBLA etc in the regular header files like
setup.h or setup_once.h.

> - edited lib/select.h to not be inactivated

Please clarify.

> - The existing old openssl port does not seem to contain everything needed
> for curl - seems to block the use of libssh2 and libmetalink too.

How old is that? libcurl should be possible to build and use with OpenSSL
0.9.6 unless we broke something recently. People probably don't use such old
OpenSSL versions with new libcurl versions very often...

> - will any of the other ssl alternatives work to enable libssh2 and/or
> libmetalink? Especially axtls looks interesting.

libssh2 requires OpenSSL or gcrypt. I don't know what libmetalink can be told
to use.

> - A weird thing when compiling with c-ares support: curl binary consumes all
> CPU power in my VM and hangs like that (even when doing something simple
> like "curl -V"). This could be an error in the c-ares port but it seems to
> be curl- specific since the binaries built against c-ares in the c-ares
> package (acountry, ahost, adig) seem to work as they should.

Sounds weird and would need some deeper digging I guess!