libgnurl

From: Christian Grothoff <grothoff_at_in.tum.de>
Date: Wed, 23 Oct 2013 15:43:31 +0200

Hi!

I just wanted to let you know that I created libgnurl, a little fork of
libcurl with
the goal of providing a library that consistently provides exactly (and
only)
HTTP/HTTPS and GnuTLS. The fork mostly makes minor changes the build
system to change
the name of the binary (but not the names of the C symbols). Thus,
applications that
don't need Gopher, LDAP, etc. can trivially change to libgnurl by
changing -lcurl to
-lgnurl.

The detailed reasons for the fork, the patch and first release can all
be found at https://gnunet.org/gnurl

While it might be possible for Daniel to modify the libcurl build system
to build
a "libgnurl" together with a libcurl (it's from the same source, after
all), I'm
this time not going to send tons of e-mails to convince anyone that this
is a good
idea --- especially as I'm sure there are just as many valid arguments
for why this
is a bad idea. Hence, maintaining the fork until the technical issues
are resolved
will be the healthier choice for me. I expect it'll only take a few years.

I'm mostly writing this e-mail so that you are aware that there is now
another
library defining symbols in the curl namespace (as I'm aware that this
is may
also create problems).

Happy hacking!

Christian