Re: segfaulting in Curl_num_addresses on OS X and Ubuntu

From: Ray Satiro via curl-library <curl-library_at_cool.haxx.se>
Date: Thu, 6 Aug 2015 02:13:32 -0400

On 8/1/2015 7:11 PM, Eric Ridge wrote:
>> On Aug 1, 2015, at 6:28 PM, Daniel Stenberg <daniel_at_haxx.se> wrote:
>>
>> Well it can't. But if you build curl yourself for your own pleasure and fun, and you don't use the threaded resolver, it is useful information that the memory functions don't need to be thread-safe... IMHO.
> What about:
>
> "If you're using a version of libcurl installed by a package manager (or Windows), it is possible that libcurl is multi-threaded. Therefore, the custom allocator functions should be thread-safe to ensure correctness.
>
> On the other hand, if you're using a custom-built libcurl without the threaded resolver, then the functions need not be thread-safe."

How about this:

If you are using libcurl from multiple threads or libcurl was built with the
threaded resolver option then the callback functions must be thread
safe. The
threaded resolver is a common build option to enable (and in some cases the
default) so we strongly urge you to make your callback functions thread
safe.