cURL cURL > Development > README.ares

How to build libcurl with ares support

This contents is from the curl/lib/README.ares file.

                                  _   _ ____  _
                              ___| | | |  _ \| |
                             / __| | | | |_) | |
                            | (__| |_| |  _ <| |___
                             \___|\___/|_| \_\_____|
          How To Build libcurl to Use c-ares For Asynch Name Resolves
  The latest libcurl version requires c-ares 1.6.0 or later.
  Once upon the time libcurl built fine with the "original" ares. That is no
  longer true. You need to use c-ares.
Build c-ares
1. unpack the c-ares archive
2. cd c-ares-dir
3. ./configure
4. make
5. make install
Build libcurl to use c-ares in the curl source tree
1. name or symlink the c-ares source directory 'ares' in the curl source
2. ./configure --enable-ares
  Optionally, you can point out the c-ares install tree root with the the
  --enable-ares option.
3. make
Build libcurl to use an installed c-ares
1. ./configure --enable-ares=/path/to/ares/install
2. make
c-ares on win32
(description brought by Dominick Meglio)
First I compiled c-ares. I changed the default C runtime library to be the
single-threaded rather than the multi-threaded (this seems to be required to
prevent linking errors later on). Then I simply build the areslib project (the
other projects adig/ahost seem to fail under MSVC).
Next was libcurl. I opened lib/config-win32.h and I added a:
Next thing I did was I added the path for the ares includes to the include
path, and the libares.lib to the libraries.
Lastly, I also changed libcurl to be single-threaded rather than
multi-threaded, again this was to prevent some duplicate symbol errors. I'm
not sure why I needed to change everything to single-threaded, but when I
didn't I got redefinition errors for several CRT functions (malloc, stricmp,
I would have modified the MSVC++ project files, but I only have VC.NET and it
uses a different format than VC6.0 so I didn't want to go and change
everything and remove VC6.0 support from libcurl.