curl-users

Re: WAP?

From: <kamadoll_at_excite.com>
Date: Fri, 16 Jun 2000 18:12:25 -0700 (PDT)

I use Curl for WAP already - most WAP gateways are already
translating WTP (or WTLS) to HTTP (or HTTPS ). And
Curl does a great job on the translated content.
I am wondering why you would want to circumvent a gateway which
in addition to doing the translation also provides valuable
device and location information ?

There are some good reasons for the need for WTP which I
cannot go into here - it is optimized for delivery over
low bandwidth connections.
Look at www.wapforum.com for more information.

Before there was WAP there was and is CDPD in the US based on
older analog networks. These phones would get a _real_ IP
address all the way to the phone - I can ping my CDPD phone.