curl-users

Re: use curl as a web stress testing tool

From: Richard Chen <chenri_at_snet.net>
Date: Fri, 15 Dec 2000 00:16:20 -0500

On Thu, Dec 14, 2000 at 07:08:37PM -0800, Troy Engel wrote:
> On Thu, Dec 14, 2000 at 10:02:06PM -0500, Richard Chen wrote:
> >
> > Also, can one control the keep-alive
> > and test its impact on the performance when
> > the server turns it on and off.
>
> While it could, I personally think this would be use of the incorrect tool for the job; there are already Perl scripts out there which accomplish the same thing natively, eg:
>
> http://stein.cshl.org/~lstein/torture/
> http://www.linux-magazin.de/ausgabe/1998/08/Pounder/pounder.html
>
> -te
>
> --
> Troy Engel
> GPG KeyID: DF3D5207
> GPG Key Server: http://pgp5.ai.mit.edu/pks-commands.html
> GPG Fingerprint: BDF5AC2BDFB8058C 4FBDCEE6E16BB199 DF3D5207

I know about these tools, including apache's crashme script.

However, those tools lack the sophstication of curl such as cookie
support, basic authentication support, post data support,
https support and keep alive support. To add those feature in
those scripts is a pain. It is so much easier if one can do things like
        curl -b 'foo=bar' -d 'key=val' -u user:pass -parallel 50 \
                -count 100 'https:/path/to/file?k=v'

Thanks for your help, though.

Richard