curl-users

Re: doing multiple file download

From: Kevin P Roth <kproth_at_MarathonOil.com>
Date: Mon, 18 Dec 2000 12:36:39 -0600

> My second point would be the using-one-connection-for-many-files. I don't
> know why so many people are so stuck on this point. To the average user, the
> difference between using separate connections or a single one can't be
> noticable. However, since it is often requested, I want to get your input on
> how the library should be modified to deal with these ones. There's also this

A typical GUI browser uses multiple keep-alive HTTP connections simultaneously for the best of both worlds ¯ I think HTTP 1.0 had no official limit but was typically setup to use up to 4 simultaneous connections so as to download multiple embedded graphics faster; HTTP 1.1 I believe has a specified limit of two connections per server. Plus it would re-use them (keep-alive) so as to avoid a small bit of overhead to establish a new TCP connection...

I don't suppose multiple files at once is really reasonable for the first go-round is it?

--Kevin