curl-users

Re: 7.5.1 - gethostbyname problems under RedHat Linux (RESOLVED)

From: Brian K <freelunch_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Mon, 18 Dec 2000 20:11:40 -0000

On Mon, 18 Dec 2000, Daniel Stenberg writes:
>On Sat, 16 Dec 2000, Brian K wrote:

> > bonito>./curl www.ford.com
> > curl: (6) Couldn't resolve host 'www.ford.com'

>Could you verify that you get a similar configure output like this:
>
>checking if gethostbyname_r takes 6 arguments... yes

This is where things were breaking. The test for 6 arguments
was failing and configure was unable to determine the number of
arguments.

It turns out that my /etc/hosts 'localhost' entry was broken.
Since the test case quite reasonably expects localhost to resolve,
it failed. Fixing /etc/hosts and rebuilding solved the problem.

Cool, I can use curl! Now to build with SSL support..

Thanks for sending me your configure output - it put me on the
right track.

  Brian