curl-users

RE: HTTPS GET ERROR

From: Daniel Stenberg <daniel_at_haxx.se>
Date: Thu, 11 Jan 2001 00:17:13 +0100 (MET)

On Wed, 10 Jan 2001, Frank Reid wrote:

> Well, I "cured the symptom", but not sure I solved an underlying problem,
> if any. IIS was set to allow certificate-only authentication to a
> virtual directory. Both "Anonymous" and "NTLM" authentication methods
> were disabled entirely for that directory. After enabling Anonymous,
> curl can properly retrieve certificate-protected data from the folder.
> As before, browsers are presented with the challenge to present a client
> cert and, if invalid, rejected access.
>
> Apparently, curl needs to establish this "anonymous" connection
> initially, before presenting its certificate, else it doesn't understand
> the data back from IIS. (Again, IIS always thought it was sending it
> before.) Browsers don't suffer from this limitation, and are always
> challenged for their cert even if Anonymous is disabled in the directory.
> Not sure why this happens, but it fixed it for me.

I'm afraid I'm not enough oriented in these terms (like what is "Anonymous"
authentication) and the time has reached an hour when I just thankfully
accept your explanation and feel good you got it working.

This time the solution gets stored in the archive... who knows, someone else
might be able to fill in the blanks! ;-)