curl-users

Re: cURL bug

From: Daniel Stenberg <daniel_at_haxx.se>
Date: Wed, 2 Jan 2002 10:06:22 +0100 (MET)

On Fri, 28 Dec 2001, Chris Muktar wrote:

CC'ing my reply to the curl mailing list. Please direct follow-ups to the
list.

> Problem with curl not covered in the docs----
>
> try this:
>
> curl
> http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/subst/home/home.html/107-0836577-1334908
>
> For some reason (which bewilders me atm), curl can't seem to retrieve
> anything past obidos in the URL. Symptoms? Curl just doesn't do anything,
> it quits out, silently, after less than a second. For your info, with:
> wget - works ok
> pavuk - doesn't work
> microsoft webrequest object (part of asp.net) - doesn't work, error: server
> performed protocol violation (or words to that effect)

I had a quick try. The URL above returns cookies and a Location: header. To
tell curl to parse returning cookies (and use them in the following request)
and follow the header, you should slap on "-b empty -L" to the command line.

When I just tried that it returned an awful lot of HTML! :-)

> Thanks very much. Keep me posted, and keep up the good work.

I hope this will make you happy!