curl-users

the download page

From: Daniel Stenberg <daniel_at_haxx.se>
Date: Tue, 8 Apr 2003 10:26:42 +0200 (CEST)

Hi friends

Due to the large amount of various curl packages available for download, I've
taken some further steps to automating the process of dealing with updates
etc.

Already now, many of the files that are provided from the curl site and its
mirrors are uploaded by the maintainers of them. This takes a load off me and
prevents me from being a bottle neck in the process.

Until just a few hours ago, the download HTML page was manually edited so
even when the maintainers uploaded new files and they began to get mirrored,
I still had to edit the download page.

In come my new server tool, that automaticly will detect new releases and
update the page accordingly. Those who aren't detected automaticly can still
be easily edited using a web based interface.

Ok, this is all good and mostly informational on your behalf, but since I now
machine-generate the download page it already looks a little different. And
while mocking around with the look of the page, I thought I'd ask you, the
users, what you think of the page right now and how we can improve the
readability and usability of it.

For example, do you think people get lost among all the packages? Can we
decrease the amount of packages we throw in the face of users somehow? Would
users like a 'which package is for me wizard-style' query page?