curl-users

Re: connect failed

From: Daniel Stenberg <daniel_at_haxx.se>
Date: Tue, 8 Apr 2003 12:43:31 +0200 (CEST)

On Tue, 8 Apr 2003, Jill Tovey wrote:

> > What happens if you try 'telnet 127.0.0.1 2525' ?

Right, so there's no mystery why curl failed. You don't have anything
listening on that port.

Isn't that because you try to speak https:// with the http:// server?

> I have tried forcing usage of SSLv2, v1, TLSv1 and HTTP 1.0, but get the
> same error.
>
> using the command
> curl http://localhost:80
> is fine

Fine? You said above that it displays an error message.

> The command
> curl https://localhost/snortagent/sensor.php
> gives this error:
> curl: (35) SSL: error:14090086:SSL
> routines:SSL3_GET_SERVER_CERTIFICATE:certificate verify failed

Right, because the client can't verify the server:
http://curl.haxx.se/docs/sslcerts.html

> however, if i try
> curl -k https://localhost/snortagent/sensor.php
>
> it brings back this:

> <HTML><HEAD>
> <TITLE>404 Not Found</TITLE>
> </HEAD><BODY>
> <H1>Not Found</H1>
> The requested URL /snortagent/sensor.php was not found on this
> server.<P>
> <HR>
> <ADDRESS>Apache-AdvancedExtranetServer/1.3.26 Server at jill.mandrake
> Port 443</ADDRESS>
> </BODY></HTML>

Now you're getting somewhere. Now curl works fine and gets info from your web
server (using an insecure ssl connection, but it works). Now figure out what
the correct URL is or other problems by checking the web server logs etc.

> but the page is there if i view it in the browser.

You're in charge of your web server so you should check out why you hand out
different responses to different user-agents. Seems a very strange thing to
do in my view.