curl-users

RE: multiple upload syntax?

From: Rich Gray <RichG_at_DigitalControls.com>
Date: Wed, 20 Aug 2003 09:14:01 -0400

----Original Message----
From: Daniel Stenberg [mailto:daniel_at_haxx.se]
Sent: Tuesday, August 19, 2003 5:40 PM
To: Curl Mailinglist
Subject: RE: multiple upload syntax?

> On Tue, 19 Aug 2003, Roth, Kevin P. wrote:
>
>> I think all three of your proposed versions (A,B & C) should be
>> supported. They all make sense.
>
> I don't think we can support version A at the same time we support
> B/C.

Seems to me that there is a general set of parser rules
which would support:

A) curl -T file1 -T file2 ftp://site.com/
B) curl -T file1 ftp://site1.com/ -T file2 ftp://site2.com/
C) curl -T {file1,file2} ftp://site.com/ -T {file3,file4} \
            ftp://site2.com/
and even

D) curl -T files(s) site1 site2 site3 \
         -T file(s) -T file(s) siteA siteB

Option D would allow one to transfer sets of files to
multiple sites.

Parse rules:

1. Add any -T files to the upload files list.

2. When a URL is encountered, designate the upload files
   list to be transfered to that target site. Mulitple
   URLs will simply get the same upload list.

3. When a -T is encountered after a URL, clear the upload files
   list so we can start over. (Or do it explicitly with
   -T "" to allow the files list to grow.)

Error recovery could be a pain with long lists. Perhaps a way
out of that would be to have an option to have curl write an
error recovery file which would simply be a command line to
transfer any untransfered files and/or one to transfer any
untransfered files besides the current failing transfer.

Cheers!
Rich