curl-users

plain file

From: Gisle Vanem <gvanem_at_broadpark.no>
Date: Sun, 9 Nov 2003 13:31:51 +0100

I tried this by accident:
 curl -vO ftp://some-host/~

It downloads okay producing a 1024 byte '~' file. I assume
it's the content of the inode of the initial directory. (I have
.netrc entries for all host I tried)

Results from some ftp-servers.

ProFTPD:
  SIZE ~
  550 ~: No such file or directory
  RETR ~
  550 ~: No such file or directory

WarFTPd 1.82.00-RC2:
  SIZE ~
  550 Access denied.
  RETR ~
  550 Access denied.

UNIX Type: L8 Version: BSD-199506:
  SIZE ~
  550 /home/**/giva: not a plain file.
  RETR ~
  150 Opening BINARY mode data connection for '/home/**/giva'.

What's the normal definition of a "plain file". And how can I make
curl skip non-plain files?

I dare not try to upload '~' afraid of wiping my ISP home-dir.
What could happen?

--gv