curl-users

Re: about "-m" on windows systems

From: Daniel Stenberg <daniel-curl_at_haxx.se>
Date: Mon, 2 Feb 2004 16:24:57 +0100 (CET)

On Mon, 2 Feb 2004, Sebastien WILLEMIJNS wrote:

> it is true that "-m" function doesn't works well in windows 98 SE systems...

It is true for *all* windows systems. From Windows 95 to Windows ... eh,
whatever the most recent one is called.

> ... but i think for a similar function (by security) who stops CURL after a
> "pre-defined time" sic !!! i'm not happy when CURL waits for nothing since
> a long time :X

curl (by default) uses gethostbyname() to resolve names. On windows, there
simply is no way to stop it before it times out by itself. Tough luck.

There are work-arounds:

1. build curl with ares for name resolves

2. use curl on a different platform that supports -m

3. use a second task that kills the first curl process in case it runs too
   long

> I think CURL can capture the date and time of the beginning of session and
> capture again every X seconds to compare and giving the "uptime" of the
> program processus... it is not logic but it is the only solution (except the
> stupid "don't use windows") :X

In theory curl could possibly do that. But so far not a single person has been
able to provide a working way that makes this happen. Sorry. We're just not
good enough! ;-)