curl-users

Re: 'automatic configuration script' as proxy

From: Edward S. Peschko <esp5_at_pge.com>
Date: Mon, 1 Mar 2004 10:57:00 -0800

On Mon, Mar 01, 2004 at 07:49:25AM +0100, Daniel Stenberg wrote:
> On Sun, 29 Feb 2004, Edward S. Peschko wrote:
>
> > I was wondering if curl supported an 'automatic configuration script' as do
> > mozilla, IE, and opera...
>
> Nope. Try FAQ entry 3.14: http://curl.haxx.se/docs/faq.html

ok, so there's an entry in the FAQ which seems to set in stone the
lack of a piece of functionality (which would be very useful btw) and
then goes on to explain that there is a freeware javascript engine available,
and that people have used it successfully in the past..

If people have used it successfully in the past, are there instructions on how to
use it successfully posted somewhere, and if so, could they be put there?

> The last time I had a look, the (only free one I know) javascript parser code
> was a bigger code chunk than curl itself.

That's fine, I would make it a dependency then, like perl's DBD::DB2 depends on
having db-4 installed. And then make the dependency a voluntary one (ie: if the
javascript interpreter is there support a given command line flag, if not, don't).

Don't get me wrong, I think curl is very useful, and I do use it for ftp.
I just think that me and a hell of a lot of other people *can't* use it
effectively if this is not supported.

And since all the main browsers support javascript, more and more websites
(not just company access methods which a lot of poeple use in themselves) will
become inaccessible by curl and therefore curl will diminish in value.

Ed