curl-users

Re: Install Question

From: Ralph Mitchell <ralphmitchell_at_gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 27 Sep 2005 19:00:13 -0500

On 9/27/05, Bob Cohen <bcohen_at_bpecreative.com> wrote:

> Doug McNutt wrote:
>
> >At 10:50 -0400 9/27/05, Bob Cohen wrote:
> >

> >Think about temporarily altering the name of the old curl entities (in
> /usr/lib according to Ralph) and then, with the old names, making a hard or
> symbolic link to the files or directories you want to be used. That could
> avoid recompiling php or Apache.

You shouldn't need to do that, though it would probably work. What you could
try instead would be to set LD_LIBRARY_PATH in the Apache startup script:

LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/usr/local/lib:$LD_LIBRARY_PATH

Thanks. I'll give that a try.

> >Apache is probably owned by root and is started up at boot time. I doubt
> that you have any access to the shell that started it up and it may have
> been forked away.
> >
> Actually this is my own server so I can do with it whatever I want.

Apache would be started by a script in /etc. It ought to be in /etc/init.d
(or maybe /etc/rc.d/init.d), with links to the runlevel startup directories,
e.g. /etc/rc2.d or /etc/rc3.d (or maybe /etc/rc.d/rc2.d, etc) depending on
where the distro guys thought would be a good place. I don't have a RedHat
system handy right now, and I think it changes from time to time anyway.

Ralph