curl-users

Re: New user question

From: Dan Fandrich <dan_at_coneharvesters.com>
Date: Thu, 16 Mar 2006 13:34:12 -0800

On Thu, Mar 16, 2006 at 01:57:09PM -0600, Campbell, Michael wrote:
> I posted this on the curl-library but really didn't get any good answers. I

Probably because the question isn't related to curl, per se, but rather
a question of how to install somebody's curl binary that you downloaded
from somewhere.

> recently installed cURL on an AIX machine, oslevel of 5.2.0.0. We used the
> following to install: curl.7.15.1.tar

But where did that file come from?

> When I try to connect to an https: site, I get that libcurl was built with SSL
> disabled, https: not supported.
>
> My question is where do I download either a cURL version that supports the SSL,
> or where do I get the libcurl module needed. Or do I need to load the
> entire openSSL product on our system?
>
> Thanks. Any help is appreciated.

Yes, the curl you installed was obviously compiled without SSL support. To
get that support you not only need a new curl binary, but you need an SSL
library as well. See the URL http://curl.haxx.se/dlwiz/ for an answer
to the first question. For an answer to the second, either ask whoever
packaged up the curl binary you end up installing (binaries aren't
provided by the curl project) or ask in an AIX forum somewhere.

>>> Dan