curl-users

RE: Curl complains about no 'cc'

From: Daniel Stenberg <daniel_at_haxx.se>
Date: Fri, 28 Apr 2006 23:15:30 +0200 (CEST)

On Fri, 28 Apr 2006, Art Norman wrote:

> I am trying to do something similar (except on a SCO UNIX 5.0.6 server),
> package a compiled version of curl for distribution to other servers. What
> exactly do you mean by the "_installed_ curl"? I also ran into problems
> when I copied over the curl from the "build tree". It appeared that the
> documentation on "how to compile curl" did not address the steps needed for
> packaging and porting to other machines. Is there any other documentation
> that addresses this part of the process?

I mean that you need to run 'make install' and copy the files from the
installation path and not directly from the build tree:

1) ./configure --prefix=/path/to/install/on/target

2) make

3) make install

  Step 3 installs curl in the path given with --prefix to configure. Copy the
  files from there.

Note: if the path you want it installed in on the final target isn't available
on your build host or if you don't have access to it or similar, you can still
build it like above as it builds curl adjusted for that install path, but then
you install it to a different path like this:

   make DESTDIR=/tmp/curl-install install

... and then you can copy the install tree from there to the proper path on
the target host.

(Nothing of all this is curl-specific but is needed because of how libtool
works with shared libs and the make magic is provided by automake by default.)