curl-users

Re: cURL returns an error page, manually works fine

From: Dan Fandrich <dan_at_coneharvesters.com>
Date: Wed, 26 Jul 2006 17:26:54 -0700

On Wed, Jul 26, 2006 at 08:08:19PM -0400, Joe Morris wrote:
> I'm already trying to capture any cookies sent, but only through the
> standard cookie-jar option on cURL. How would I go about grabbing
> ones being set by JavaScript? Or even noticing them? Also, I'm

Automatically or manually? You can always read the code and figure out
what it's doing. If you want to do it automatically, you'll need to
pass the code through a JavaScript interpreter of some sort (search the
archives--this has come up before). If you just want to get it going,
then fire up Netscape/Mozilla/Firefox and let it store its cookies in the
cookies.txt file, then let curl use that file with the --cookie option.
It's possible that even if this works, the site won't let you use the
same cookie for long so you may need to repeat this procedure in some
time.

> confused as to why so many chapters for almost any story on that site
> load just fine, but certain ones never do. For instance, http://
> www.fanfiction.net/s/1657629/1/ works just fine, but the 5th chapter
> (http://www.fanfiction.net/s/1657629/5/) returns the same error page.

The site is probably only checking cookies on certain pages.

> I'm curious as to the reason, but I'd be perfectly happy to just
> figure out how to catch all cookies and have everything work even if
> I don't know why. ;-) I really appreciate your help and quick

>>> Dan