curl-users

Re: Is tunneling suitable for production ?

From: Bharat Varma <nbharatvarma_at_gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 24 Nov 2008 14:23:55 +0530

> Assuming I can guarantee that the server can listen on port 443 (i.e. It is
>> my server, my client and I can decide which ports they use or connect), what
>> can be the downsides of using the proxy tunnel ?
>>

> Protocol-wise there's nothing particular to mention. If it is clever for
> your application and use-case I cannot tell.
>
> 1. Any sort of problems in proxy support ? Is there anything any proxy can
>> do to invalidate this idea of a HTTP CONNECT and then a continous TCP stream
>> ?
>>

> They can refuse the request.
>
> 2. Any other technical problems I might have overlooked ? I am assuming
>> that
>> even for authenticated proxies, I can simply give corresponding auth info
>> (after I get it from the user of course) and get the tunnel up and going.
>>

> Yes you can.
>
> --
>
> / daniel.haxx.se

Thank you for the prompt response. Is there anything that we can do to
implement a comet style communication instead ?

I basically want to see if the TCP tunnel risks alienation with too many
proxies. With pure HTTP, I couldn't avoid continuous posts. The main focus
is to basically avoid continuous posts. I have tried this in the past and
have been bitten by it. I am not looking for a set-in-stone answer but more
of your experience in proxies which can discard the TCP tunnel requests.

I hear that lightstreamer has an implementation which has hooks for Java and
c#. This basically tells me that it should definitely be possible with c++
and libcurl.

Any pointers to a comet based approach on my c++ client to server channel ?
There are quite a few comet implementations for server to browser channel
anyway.