curl-users

Re: FTP Download Problem - code 78

From: Daniel Stenberg <daniel_at_haxx.se>
Date: Mon, 8 Dec 2008 15:19:30 +0100 (CET)

On Mon, 8 Dec 2008, Fred Machado wrote:

>> TYPE I
> < 200 Type set to I.
>> SIZE manual.txt
> < 550 Operation is not supported under Connect:Enterprise FTP server.

[...]

> It seems to me that the server does not suppot the FTP command SIZE. Does
> cURL conclude that the remote file couldn't be found based on return code
> 550? Is there an option to prevent cURL to use SIZE?

Argh. I see the problem and it's annoying. The reason for this failure is my
(stupid) attempt to make SIZE that fails due to a missing file a reason to
abort a transfer earlier. I don't recall exactly now, but I thought I could
use the 550 response code for this.

Now, I can see this text in RFC3659:

    The presence of the 550 error response to a SIZE
    command MUST NOT be taken by the client as an indication that the
    file cannot be transferred in the current MODE and TYPE.

IOW: this is a regression that I added in 7.19.1 and I'll have to work on
reverting this "improvement". A work-around for you is to use 7.19.0 or older,
or to patch curl/lib/ftp.c:ftp_state_size_resp() .

Sorry for this.