curl-users

Re: Curl for Windows 32 bit OS , running on AMD 64 processor

From: Bharat Varma <nbharatvarma_at_gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 2 Feb 2009 14:22:04 +0530

2009/2/2 PAVAN <meetpavan_at_gmail.com>

> Hello,
>
> I want to install Curl on Windows 32 which I am running on AMD64 processor.
>
> After installation of general Curl -32 I got following error upon
> execution:
>
> Error message :
> The application has failed to start because its side-by-side
> configuration is incorrect. Please see the application event log for
> more detail.
>
> Error message from Windows application Event Log:
> Activation context generation failed for "C:\Windows\curl.exe".
> Dependent Assembly
>
> Microsoft.VC90.CRT,processorArchitecture="x86",publicKeyToken="1fc8b3b9a1e18e3b",type="win32",version="9.0.21022.8"
> could not be found. Please use sxstrace.exe for detailed diagnosis.
>
> From the error log, I can see that this package is for x86
> architecture. Could you please suggest a suitable package which I can
> download for my configuration.

Once you have installed a 32 bit OS, the underlying hardware doesn't matter.
From Visual Studio 2005 onwards, Microsoft has started enforcing SxS (i.e.
Side-by-Side) assemblies. This means, you cannot put runtime libraries in
system32 and expect the executable to run anymore. These libraries need to
be right next to the executable as a package.

If you have any installation of VC90 anywhere, the assemblies will be
bundled along with it. Otherwise, you can search for these assemblies on
Google.