curl-users

Re: Curl for Windows 32 bit OS , running on AMD 64 processor

From: Michael Weber <michael.weber_at_kutano.com>
Date: Mon, 2 Feb 2009 13:40:01 -0800

On Mon, Feb 2, 2009 at 12:52 AM, Bharat Varma <nbharatvarma_at_gmail.com> wrote:

> 2009/2/2 PAVAN <meetpavan_at_gmail.com>
>>
>> Hello,
>>
>> I want to install Curl on Windows 32 which I am running on AMD64 processor.
>>
>> After installation of general Curl -32 I got following error upon execution:
>>
>> Error message :
>> The application has failed to start because its side-by-side
>> configuration is incorrect. Please see the application event log for
>> more detail.
>>
>> Error message from Windows application Event Log:
>> Activation context generation failed for "C:\Windows\curl.exe".
>> Dependent Assembly
>> Microsoft.VC90.CRT,processorArchitecture="x86",publicKeyToken="1fc8b3b9a1e18e3b",type="win32",version="9.0.21022.8"
>> could not be found. Please use sxstrace.exe for detailed diagnosis.
>>
>> From the error log, I can see that this package is for x86
>> architecture. Could you please suggest a suitable package which I can
>> download for my configuration.
>
> Once you have installed a 32 bit OS, the underlying hardware doesn't matter. From Visual Studio 2005 onwards, Microsoft has started enforcing SxS (i.e. Side-by-Side) assemblies. This means, you cannot put runtime libraries in system32 and expect the executable to run anymore. These libraries need to be right next to the executable as a package.
>
> If you have any installation of VC90 anywhere, the assemblies will be bundled along with it. Otherwise, you can search for these assemblies on Google.

You need to install a Microsoft redistributable runtime, if you are
running on a system other than the one you built on. You must install
the runtime that matches the version, including service pack, of the
tool you built with. i.e., VS2005, or VS2005 SP1, or VS2008, or VS2008
SP1.

Here is the link for VS2008 SP1:
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=A5C84275-3B97-4AB7-A40D-3802B2AF5FC2&displaylang=en

If you switch your build to statically link the C runtime then you
don't need these packages but your binary will be a bit larger.

Michael Weber