curl-users

Re: Curl problem on Windows: curl: (60) SSL certificate problem

From: Daniel Stenberg <daniel_at_haxx.se>
Date: Wed, 12 Jan 2011 12:26:26 +0100 (CET)

On Wed, 12 Jan 2011, Gabriel Petrovay wrote:

Please don't top-post.

> But https URLs work on both Windows and Linux in the browsers. So, the CA
> Cert on both platforms are correct.

Browsers usually ship with their own embedded list of CA certs. I'm not aware
of any system wide CA cert bundle on Windows. Most Linux systems provide a
global ca cert bundle somewhere (and curl tries to use that path as default).

> The problem is that when making a request with Curl, it doesn't work
> on Windows. It reports that "curl: (60) SSL certificate problem"
>
> I have tried with URLs like:
> https://api-3t.sandbox.paypal.com/nvp
> https://www.credit-suisse.com/ch/en/
> They are all refused on Windows unless I provide the -k option.

So you don't have a good enough CA cert bundle that can verify those servers'
certificates.

> So I wonder what is not properly configured on Windows or if this is a bug
> in Curl for Windows, not accessing the available certificates on the
> platform?

You have not pointed out a good CA cert bundle to curl and it didn't find any
on its own.