curl-users

Re: CURL intermittently not connecting to host

From: Daniel Stenberg <daniel_at_haxx.se>
Date: Thu, 27 Jan 2011 15:59:56 +0100 (CET)

On Thu, 27 Jan 2011, Tobie Vermeulen wrote:

> We use CURL for the transfer of a SOAP XML package and then process the
> receipt file. About 6 months ago the application and CURL was moved to a new
> server, Windows 2008 STD. This whole week we are experiencing severe issues
> with CURL coming back with error message 7. 3 times it will work and then
> several times not - we cannot find a true pattern to the problem - it is
> fine intermittently. When I test it on another server, Windows 2003, all is
> fine.

This indicates that the problem is not in curl but in the network and
environment you use it in. Error 7 is CURLE_COULDNT_CONNECT which means that
the TCP connection failed to get established.

You should be able to wireshark the network to get further details about what
exactly happens and what doesn't happen when the failures occur.

> version : 7.18.2 SSL SSPI LIBZ

Note that this is 14 releases and more than 2.5 years old. It might be worth
trying a more recent version. Even though I don't think the problem you see is
curl's fault.