curl-users

Re: Problem running curl

From: Malcolm MacArthur <macartm_at_gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 24 Oct 2013 21:28:46 +0100

It's kind of strange that you get no output at all, even from curl -v.

Is this on a Windows machine? I once had a similar problem trying to run a
software update for an application. You'd type in the command and nothing
happened; no error message, no nothing.

In my case, I had to turn to Process Monitor to find the answer. It turned
out to be the antivirus software (Symantec Endpoint Protection), which was
using its 'advanced SONAR capabilities' to analyse the behaviour of my
executable. When the image loaded, I could see everything working fine
until the SEP DLL loaded (it goes into every process by DLL injection at
startup) and the program then silently terminated without error. Nice
technology, Symantec, but I'd like you to at least give me a clue (like an
error message) when you decide to kill my application ...

In the end, to run the update, we had to stop the antivirus services...

So, anyway - if you don't even get a version banner, or anything, from curl
-v, then antivirus software silently killing curl.exe is a possibility if
you are on Windows ...

Malcolm