curl-users

Specify SNI server name for HTTPS client hello

From: Norton, Mike <mikenorton_at_pwsd76.ab.ca>
Date: Fri, 23 Jan 2015 19:52:17 +0000

Is there a way to specify what gets used for the server name in the TLS client hello? I need to specify the server name to test a reverse proxy server that is not yet in DNS. The server requires SNI or else it will close the connection. I'm trying to do something like this:

$ curl -k -I -H "Host: www.example.com" "https://192.0.2.1/example/"

I want to send "www.example.com" as the HTTP host and as the TLS server name, but I want to connect to 192.0.2.1, which is not necessarily the same IP that's in DNS for that name. Is there a way to do that using command-line options?

--
Mike Norton