curl-users

Re: simple question -- i must be missing something

From: Dan Fandrich <dan_at_coneharvesters.com>
Date: Wed, 3 Feb 2016 21:37:04 +0100

On Wed, Feb 03, 2016 at 10:58:19AM -0500, bruce wrote:
> Trying to figure out how to capture content from the following url. As
> far as I can tell using FF/Livehtpheaders/etc... it's a get that
> should be implemented. Basically, trying to figure out how to
> programatically get the career/term as listed in the page.
>
> using the following urls:
> https://my.boisestate.edu/
> https://my.boisestate.edu/#/home
> https://my.boisestate.edu/#/course-search
>
> In a browser, the displayed content lists the career (undergrad/grad),
> and term data fields.
>
> Using the
> https://web.boisestate.edu/bsu-services/api/v1/term/get/CurrentPlus
> https://web.boisestate.edu/bsu-services/api/v1/term/get/NextPlus
> --the term(s) can be gotten.
>
> However, I'm at a loss as to how to get the career.
>
> When you look (using the source) of the browser, you can see the
> career/term from the "https://my.boisestate.edu/#/course-search" url
>
> However, I can't seem to generate a curl to get the same results

URLs with an embedded # are an almost sure sign that there's Javascript
involved, doing something magic, like downloading a JSON file and creating
dynamic HTML from it. Take a read through
https://curl.haxx.se/docs/httpscripting.html and you'll see that it's probably
not going to be as simple as you think it should be. You can use
LiveHTTPHeaders to recreate the sequence of requests that's needed, but pay
attention to things like cookies and referrer headers.

>>> Dan