curl-users

curl failing silently with some https URLs

From: John Didion <johndidion_at_gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 17 Apr 2016 22:46:32 -0400

I built openssl 1.1 from source:

config no-shared ; make ; make test ; make install

Then built curl 7.48 from source:

configure --with-ssl --disable-shared --enable-static

Then tried to fetch a file from an https url:

curl https://linuxbrew.bintray.com/bottles/sqlite-3.11.0_1.x86_64_linux.bottle.tar.gz

This fails silently - the file doesn’t download, there is no error message, there is no output at all. It doesn’t appear to be a certificate issue, as it still fails in insecure mode (i.e. using -k).

I can download the file just fine using wget. I can also successfully fetch other https sites using curl, such as:

curl https://www.google.com

Any ideas on how to debug this?

System details:
SL6 (2.6.32-573.12.1.el6.x86_64)
GCC 5.3
Processor: 32 core AMD Opteron(tm) Processor 6134 (details for one core from /proc/cpuinfo below):

processor : 0
vendor_id : AuthenticAMD
cpu family : 16
model : 9
model name : AMD Opteron(tm) Processor 6134
stepping : 1
cpu MHz : 2300.193
cache size : 512 KB
physical id : 0
siblings : 8
core id : 0
cpu cores : 8
apicid : 16
initial apicid : 0
fpu : yes
fpu_exception : yes
cpuid level : 5
wp : yes
flags : fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic sep mtrr pge mca cmov pat pse36 clflush mmx fxsr sse sse2 ht syscall nx mmxext fxsr_opt pdpe1gb rdtscp lm 3dnowext 3dnow constant_tsc rep_good nonstop_tsc extd_apicid amd_dcm pni monitor cx16 popcnt lahf_lm cmp_legacy svm extapic cr8_legacy abm sse4a misalignsse 3dnowprefetch osvw ibs skinit wdt nodeid_msr npt lbrv svm_lock nrip_save pausefilter
bogomips : 4600.38
TLB size : 1024 4K pages
clflush size : 64
cache_alignment : 64
power management: ts ttp tm stc 100mhzsteps hwpstate

Thanks in advance