curl-users

Re: FTP operation timeout when public DNS Server is used

From: Ison <ison.thomas_at_mindteck.com>
Date: Tue, 03 May 2016 18:37:55 +0530

Hi,,

Can you use the Google DNS server manually? e.g. does "host
www.google.com 8.8.8.8" or "dig www.google.com @8.8.8.8" return anything?

I am able to replace the /etc/resolv.conf file with the google DNS server address using the echo command and I am able to ping the server name and ftp server also. So I think it should be ok. I tried the same in my PC also and I am able to browse any website.

"hostwww.google.com 8.8.8.8"

gave the following output at console :

root_at_arm:/home/debian# echo nameserver 8.8.8.8 > /etc/resolv.conf
root_at_arm:/home/debian# cat /etc/resolv.conf
nameserver 8.8.8.8
root_at_arm:/home/debian# host www.google.com 8.8.8.8
Using domain server:
Name: 8.8.8.8