curl-users

Re: curl_multi_perform crash on dns_resolve_timeout

From: Daniel Stenberg <daniel_at_haxx.se>
Date: Mon, 16 May 2016 10:53:05 +0200 (CEST)

On Wed, 11 May 2016, d_rasal_at_sky.com wrote:

> I am currently working on our legacy system which has fairly old Curl v7_26.
> It is a multithreaded system and one of the obvious problem which is
> discussed multiple times is discovered during testing - when network is
> unavailable, Dns resolution is taking longer or timing out and curl perform
> is crashing( stack trace is below).

Does it always crash when the DNS resolving times out? What OS is this running
on?

When using the synchronous name resolver backend and doing timeouts, curl is
taking some freedoms with the signal handler in order to fascilitate the
timeout so there's a small risk there.

If you're able to upgrade your libcurl it would be intersting to hear how a
later version works. Or possibly a version rebuilt to use the threaded
resolver instead which times out without a signal handler.