curl-users

Re: Trailing slash in Curl

From: Daniel Stenberg <daniel_at_haxx.se>
Date: Tue, 30 Aug 2016 16:09:31 +0200 (CEST)

On Tue, 30 Aug 2016, Evgeny wrote:

> Hello, Daniel! Thanks a lot for your great tool Curl!

You're welcome, although we're over 1400 people who contributed to make curl
what it is - certainly not just me!

> I tune url redirects for my site using htacess file.
> When I perform
> curl -Ls -o /dev/null -w %{url_effective} morozov.one/(something_else)
> and final redirect is bare domain name
> Curl outputs:
> http://morozov.one/
> Notice leading slash at the end of domain.

Yeah, the trailing slash is part of curl's internals that makes it best to
cleanup and rectify URLs (at least some mistakes). Like a raw host name, which
implies asking for '/' so it adds the slash to "correct" it. But yes, it could
be argued if that is correct or not.

Why do you redirect to the hostname only without slash? Why do you feel a need
to distinguish those two versions that have no difference when you use them?

> This inflexible behaviour of curl doesn't allow me to see is where redirect
> from slash ended domain to without-slash domain or vise versa.

Correct. Also, if you redirect to a URL with one or three slashes, curl will
show you the corrected version.

> Can I switch off adding this slash in Curl?

Nope, it's part of what it does without asking.