curl-users

Re: FW: Intermittent curl error code 35 - SSL Protocol error

From: Ray Satiro via curl-users <curl-users_at_cool.haxx.se>
Date: Thu, 8 Dec 2016 02:28:21 -0500

On 12/6/2016 3:02 PM, Kulcyk, JoAnn wrote:
> I have coded a curl command in a z/OS REXX EXEC to send data from the
> mainframe to a CentOS 5 server running Zenoss. It works 99% of the
> time, but occasionally I get an error code 35, SSL Protocol error. I
> have captured traces of both good and bad executions of the command
> and I can see where the bad one fails, but I am still not sure why it
> is failing. Can anyone help? I have scrubbed the trace data of server
> names, IP addresses, certificate info, … in order to post it. I think
> I have left enough to be useful.

A --trace for something like this is good but wireshark will help you
more if you can reproduce it. Is it possible there is not just a single
server but more than one, because those two traces have some differences
in handshake order. Possibly one of the servers only accepts certain
versions of SSL/TLS that your client does not accept, so no negotiation
can be made. Even if you have just a single IP address you are
connecting to there may be more than one origin server.