curl-users

Re: R: A question on curl

From: Daniel Stenberg <daniel_at_haxx.se>
Date: Fri, 27 Jan 2017 15:50:05 +0100 (CET)

On Fri, 27 Jan 2017, Alessandro Zappa (UBISS) wrote:

> The trouble is that while curl is downloading a file, it uses the /tmp dir
> to store a a tmp file (it uses name like udeUaGAO ...) and it removes this
> file at the end of the download process. You can see them with large file..

No, curl doesn't do that. It never did. I don't know what creates that temp
file for you. If your curl does that, then it is either not an original curl
or your system does something really funny in an unorthodox way.

If you use -o or -O, the code that opens the output file is this:

  https://github.com/curl/curl/blob/master/src/tool_cb_wrt.c#L57

... where file name is the name from -o or in the case of -O, the name
extracted from the rightmost slash in the URL. No /tmp use there.