curl-users

Re: What to ask ourselves this year?

From: Jeremy Nicoll via curl-users <curl-users_at_cool.haxx.se>
Date: Fri, 05 May 2017 11:24:33 +0100

On Fri, 5 May 2017, at 08:02, Daniel Stenberg wrote:

> B) Have you ever decided NOT to write to the project with an idea or a
> topic because of the need to use a mailing list for that?

No, not for this or any other project. If I'm sufficiently keen on an
idea to want
to pursue it, I'll use whatever mechansim is available.

I'm a dinosaur and I like mailing lists. But if a mailing list for a
product is full
mainly of non-technical users' Q&A, often I'd email the maintainer
directly, so
that people with no interest in how something works internally needn't
be forced
to get copies of a 'boring' discussion.

Then again, I'm the sort of person who susbcribes to a mail list for a
product I use
rarely, or in some cases have never used but think I might want to use
at some point
in the future, just so that I can absorb knowledge of how other people
use it without
having to think too much.

Maybe the forums etc appeal to people who only expect to want to ask you
one
question? They don't care about other questions... Or - not using
desktop or
laptop computers - they'd much rather just point their browser at a
pre-existing
forum, ask their one question, and then go away? Those people probably
balk at
having to register on a forum, too.

How much do you care about people who are not willing to make an effort?

--
Jeremy Nicoll - my opinions are my own.