curl-users

Re: Cygwin's curl is only working in Safe Mode on Windows 7

From: Ray Satiro via curl-users <curl-users_at_cool.haxx.se>
Date: Wed, 9 Aug 2017 03:06:40 -0400

On 8/8/2017 7:56 PM, ted.holien_at_thomsonreuters.com wrote:
> I've been pulling my hair out over this. Hoping someone has some ideas.
> Something must have changed on my machine because this used to work OK. I
> have Cygwin 64-bit installed on Windows 7. The curl command in the Cygwin
> shell has been working fine for me in the past, but lately it might work for a
> short time after a fresh reboot, but then it'll stop working until I
> completely reboot again. Here's' what the output looks like with the verbose
> (-v) option:
>

> $ curl -v -L www.google.com
> * STATE: INIT => CONNECT handle 0x600057970; line 1410 (connection #-5000)
> * Rebuilt URL to: www.google.com/
> * Added connection 0. The cache now contains 1 members

> $ curl -V
> curl 7.54.1 (x86_64-unknown-cygwin) libcurl/7.54.1 OpenSSL/1.0.2k zlib/1.2.11
> libidn2/2.0.2 libpsl/0.17.0 (+libidn2/0.11) libssh2/1.7.0 nghttp2/1.23.1
> Release-Date: 2017-06-14
> Protocols: dict file ftp ftps gopher http https imap imaps ldap ldaps pop3
> pop3s rtsp scp sftp smb smbs smtp smtps telnet tftp
> Features: AsynchDNS Debug IDN IPv6 Largefile GSS-API Kerberos SPNEGO NTLM
> NTLM_WB SSL libz TLS-SRP HTTP2 UnixSockets HTTPS-proxy Metalink PSL

I am running that same version in Windows 7 x64 and I haven't noticed a
problem like that. Try gdb curl (you'll need the cygwin gdb and
curl-debuginfo packages) then 'run args', then wait until it hangs and
CTRL+C, then 'thread apply all where'. Also try strace curl args.
Another thing you can do is let it hang 10 minutes to see if it
eventually exits on its own with an error.