curl-users

Re: Distributing CURL binary and Licensing

From: Daniel Stenberg <daniel_at_haxx.se>
Date: Thu, 26 Oct 2017 18:17:23 +0200 (CEST)

On Thu, 26 Oct 2017, Edditoria via curl-users wrote:

> 1. Is it okay that I put the exe file directly in my Github repo? (Or
> some better ways?)

It is okay. I can't tell you if there's a better way as I don't have enough
info to judge.

> 2. Is it one or two licenses I need to take care? (CURL build and Mr.
> Szakáts's build?)

Without knowing legalese and not being a lawyer, I think you can safely assume
that just including one licesense for curl will be enough. If you want to be
really sure, I would recommend emailing Viktor to allow him to have a say in
it.

> 3. Will the MIT license in my repo change to other type of license
> automatically? (e.g. force others to open-source their code)

The MIT license will not change. It is fixed and will remain as it is. No
license forces you to open-source your code; it is rather the opposite: some
software have licenses that makes you unable to use them unless you're
releasing your source code (so called copyleft).

The MIT license is however not a copyleft license.