curl-users

Re: Upgrading curl on a Win 8.1 system

From: Jeremy Nicoll via curl-users <curl-users_at_cool.haxx.se>
Date: Wed, 03 Jan 2018 14:38:39 +0000

On Tue, 2 Jan 2018, at 06:46, Ray Satiro via curl-users wrote:
> On 1/1/2018 4:57 PM, Daniel Stenberg wrote:
> >> However I do notice that the curl.exe here is much
> >> larger than the 7.25.0 one was (3911 KB instead of 659 KB).
> >>
> >> That makes me think that the newer  curl.exe  has had the DLL stuff
> >> linked into it.   Is that right?
> >
> > When it comes to answers about specific binary builds you are
> > generally better off asking the one making the package. In this case
> > however, it seems you can just invoke "curl -V" and see that it works
> > and shows a reasonable version.

Thanks to both of you for replying. Sorry for not replying to you
earlier.

Daniel, it does do that, thank-you. I wasn't sure though whether that
proved it had the support previously provided by the separate DLLs...
I'd guessed that would depends on whether curl.exe loaded all the
DLLs it might need at the start of its execution (in which case maybe a
-V call would fail if they couldn't be found) or only when one/all of them
were actually needed.

> Yes, Marc Hörsken's build of curl includes libcurl in the executable
> instead of in a dll. In other words it was built with a static library
> of libcurl. This can be assumed since it does not include a DLL, and can
> be confirmed by using a program like Dependency Walker which shows no
> 3rd party DLLs are required.

That Dependency Walker thing has cropped up in quite a few threads
I've read in various places recently... I must install it and play with it...

> curl -V

[snippity]

> In the version information you can see it is built to use multiple SSL
> libraries, OpenSSL and WinSSL (aka schannel). Notice (WinSSL) is in
> parentheses and OpenSSL is not, which means it is set to use OpenSSL. It
> can be switched to use WinSSL if CURL_SSL_BACKEND is set to schannel.
>
> set CURL_SSL_BACKEND=schannel
> curl -V ...

I've tried this with the same results. Thank-you for your detailed
and clear explanation.

> Granted I realize we could probably explain this better, somewhere.
> Marc can you update your readme to explain multi-ssl and that
> curl-ca-bundle.crt is needed by default?

Oops, I thought when I read that... I hadn't looked at 'the' readme in the
download. But I have done since then. But, the 'binary' download (as
is mentioned in various Stack Overflow threads - I'm glad I'd read those
first) isn't at all what a normal Windows user would expect.

Mine has 40 files in 21 folders. Twelve or so of those files have 'README'
in their names, and that doesn't include the MANPAGE and INSTALL files.
Almost none of these files (all of which I looked at before writing this)
have any relevance to a Windows user.

Quite a lot of them have no extension in their filenames, making them a
pain to open and read on Windows... every one needing a right-click and
a choice of editor. Those that do have extensions are ".MD" which is also
not associated with anything on a typical Windows system.

The curl.exe file is found inside a folder named "src" which is probably
the last place anyone 'knowledgeable' would ever look...

The first time I downloaded this and unzipped it I was sure I'd somehow
got a source download with makefiles etc... and immediately deleted it
and looked again at the choice of downloads. But lots were like that;
that's when I went off to Google and hence Stack Overflow...

 It'd be a lot less intimidating if one merely downloaded a zip containing
curl.exe, a licence file & the CHANGES file (but both with a .txt extension)
and a short relevant-to-Windows help .txt file.

--
Jeremy Nicoll - my opinions are my own.