curl-users

Re: changing -# output on unknown data size?

From: Daniel Stenberg <daniel_at_haxx.se>
Date: Tue, 16 Jan 2018 23:33:26 +0100 (CET)

On Tue, 16 Jan 2018, Jeremy Nicoll via curl-users wrote:

>> Check out https://github.com/curl/curl/pull/2242
>
> It's very pretty... but what does it actually mean?

It doesn't mean much. The "ship" moves when data is being transfered and it
stops if the transfer stalls. That's about it. If you want information on
speeds, times, data amounts etc you'd use the normal progress meter.

> I notice that the distance between the # characters grows then contracts as
> they bunch at the end of the line - is that just a nice animation or does it
> mean something?

The # characters are just moving across the line on a sine wive and they're
updated the same, no matter if data moves or not.

> Why are there four hashes rather than 3 or 17?

My deep feeling for art and design told me that's a good amount! =)

> If someone has this active (when perhaps it would have been better turned
> off) and has redirected output do they get just a single line of arbitrary
> info in the resultant file, or lots of lines?

Lots of lines. Each refresh is a new line. Both progress meters curl has work
like this since forever.

> Does curl also show a total of how much data has been processed so far, &
> maybe an average speed/second or /minute or something? Surely that's more
> useful?

Then surely you wouldn't use this progress-bar!