curl-users

curl reports SSL certificate problem

From: TC Haddad <tchaddad_at_gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 2 Aug 2018 20:22:52 -0700

hello,

I could use some advice on where to look for a solution. I recently
installed a SSL certificate from GoDaddy on my server, and having been
working my way through various issues that have occurred as a result.

At first I had an intermediate chain problem, but seem to have resolved it,
at least according to the tests at:
https://www.ssllabs.com/ssltest/analyze.html?d=www.coastalatlas.net
Which now reports an "A" grade and no certificate chain errors.

However I do have a service that is using curl to fetch from another
service (both on the same server), and this service has been reporting
errors from curl, e.g.:
https://www.coastalatlas.net/mapcache/wmts/1.0.0/cz-poly/default/oca/5/11/4.png

The progress on the errors went like this:

- First it was reporting the chain problem, Once the chain problem was
resolved,
- Next complained that a certificate was self-signed (it is true that
GoDaddy Root certificate is self signed).
- Now I've removed the root certificate anchor from the chain, and the curl
error is "unable to get local issuer certificate" (even though the chain is
reported as ok in the tests above).

So I'm at a bit of a loss where to look next. Any suggestions? Is there a
way for curl to recognize the GoDaddy root certificate as legitimate?

(this is Apache 2.4.33, curl 7.59.0)