curl-users

Re: Proposal to change default handling for content-encoded responses

From: Daniel Stenberg <daniel_at_haxx.se>
Date: Tue, 30 Oct 2018 09:51:30 +0100 (CET)

On Tue, 30 Oct 2018, Kartikaya Gupta wrote:

> Does anybody have examples where turning on automatic content-decoding would
> adversely impact the use case? Any other comments on changing the default
> behaviour here?

I'm in favor of this change unless someone can present a use case indicating a
risk for serious user discomfort.

Changing the default to use '--compressed' by default might also improve life
for a bunch of users since it might save bandwidth and can reduce transfer
waits (since it'll need to transfer less data to get the job done).

It could also be noted that --no-compressed would then be necessary to use in
order to *not* ask for a compressed (and auto-decompress) resource.

I can't think of any middle-way approach for this change that would make the
transition easier. It seems to be rather binary.