curl-users

Re: 10 second stalls when retrieving pages from washingtonpost.com

From: Daniel Stenberg <daniel_at_haxx.se>
Date: Sat, 17 Nov 2018 12:04:22 +0100 (CET)

On Fri, 9 Nov 2018, John Brayton wrote:

> I am trying to retrieve pages from washingtonpost.com using curl and am
> seeing 8-10 second stalls. For example, this command takes between 8 and 10
> seconds:
>
> Any suggestions would be very helpful to me. Thank you.

There's no doubt that this is the server's choice or flaw.

If you add -v and --trace-time to the command line you can see clearly that
the server is taking a long time to respond in these cases.

I also tried with different curl versions and TLS backends and I couldn't
avoid the stall.

Curious! Time to fire up wireshark and see if that can teach us something
here...