curl-and-python

Re: Git repository

From: Oleg Pudeyev <oleg+pycurl_at_bsdpower.com>
Date: Sun, 17 Feb 2013 04:49:50 -0500

On Sun, 17 Feb 2013 15:00:27 +0530
Ut <codersofthedark_at_gmail.com> wrote:

> [http://john.albin.net/git/convert-subversion-to-git]
> Since, we have gained lot of new knowledge about svn-git import, lets
> redo this. John has a well documented conversion procedure defined.
> If this sounds good to everybody lets follow it. Feel free to propose
> more steps if required.
> #UtxD

I suppose the first question is, why are you trying to convert from svn
when the source repository is cvs? Does the subversion repository you
want to convert like this already exist?

If you are thinking of doing a cvs -> svn -> git conversion, this is
probably going to be suboptimal. Reading the svn to git guide you
linked to, some of the "cleanup" is undoing things that subversion does
that do not exist in cvs. For example, commits for branches/tags and
trunk to master rename.

I went through the authors and they are all handled. There are no
svn:ignore attributes in a cvs repository. In the cvsimport manpages I
read there was no mention of cvs ignore functionality. Adding a
gitignore is so simple that I see little reason worrying about what cvs
ignores were, if any were defined.

Oleg