Re: GCC compile of libcurl with -mno-cygwin

From: Daniel Stenberg <daniel_at_haxx.se>
Date: Wed, 15 Nov 2000 10:11:22 +0100 (MET)

On Wed, 15 Nov 2000, Jim Prantzalos wrote:

> I'm trying to compile libcurl on Win2k using the Cygwin toolset, but I
> don't want the libcurl.a file to be built with dependencies to
> "cygwin1.dll".

Hm, well it does set that dependency because it needs it I guess. libtool
works out library dependencies.

> So far I've gotten no where.

This really is a cygwin "flaw" I'm not very fluent in. I'd recommend the
mingw32 compiler (another GNU gcc port) for win-systems, as I know that one
compiles and builds curl and libcurl just fine.

You should probably dig up some libtool + cygwin docs somewhere and see how
others have dealt with this. libtool is very extensively used so I figure
people must have faced this dilemma in other projects too.

> I don't quite understand what all is going on with that 'libtool' stuff.
> If someone knows how to build this library (for cygwin) without dll
> dependencies, could you please forward me the info.

libtool takes care of generating shared libraries for all kinds of systems,
and for systems that don't support them it still hides that fact from the
rest of the build system. I really can't live without it! ;-) Or rather, I
could not have libcurl as a shared library on all these systems if libtool
doesn't help me.

I'm sorry I couldn't be of more help.