Could use Clarification on FAQ (Win32 DLL tips)

From: Bob Schader <bobs_at_product-des.com>
Date: Thu, 1 Feb 2001 13:06:44 -0500

Regarding the following FAQ entry:

5.5 Does CURLOPT_FILE work on win32 ?

Yes, but you cannot open a FILE * and pass the pointer to a DLL and have
that DLL use the FILE *. You must use CURLOPT_WRITEFUNCTION as well to set a
function that writes the file, even if that simply writes the data to the
specified FILE*.

(provided by Joel DeYoung)

As per my last message, I realized the same was true for reading files and
CURLOPT_READFUNCTION.

Since as part of my research into accessing curl from Java using JNI and swig,
I plan to add wrapper functions of my own into the curl.dll file. I planned on these
functions doing their own fread internal to the DLL. Is this possible? Is it just
that a FILE * can't be passed to a DLL, but a DLL could create and use it's
own FILE *'s? If no one else is using Win32, looks like I have alot of experimenting
to do!

Bob S.

Bob Schader
Computer Systems Manager